Academy Member Inducted 2010Map & Directions
For more than thirty-five years, my practice has focused on the litigation, arbitration and mediation of complex construction disputes. I also have extensive experience in the negotiation and drafting of construction and other procurement contracts including engineering agreements, architectural service agreements, general contracts, subcontracts, construction management agreements, cable television service contracts and equipment purchase agreements. This construction claims and contracting experience has related to a wide variety of commercial projects including high-rise office structures, hospitals, hotels, shopping centers, wastewater treatment plants, industrial buildings, hydroelectric plants, and sports arenas. I also have extensive experience with both single-family and multi-family residential projects.
I have successfully mediated disputes for more than ten years, and have actively served as an arbitrator for more than twenty years. My mediation practice has encompassed disputes by and between owners, real estate developers, contractors, subcontractors, sureties, architects, engineers, insurance companies, local governing authorities and others. As a pro-active mediator with the benefit of wide construction experience, I have an excellent record of helping parties resolve disputes. Additionally, as an arbitrator I have served individually, and as a panel member, on both large and complex cases, as well as on small fast-track cases, involving virtually every type of construction project. This arbitration experience also provides unique insight which is often helpful in the mediation process.
- Contract Disputes
- Eminent Domain
- Land Use/Planning
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Professional Fees
- Professional Negligence
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- University of Georgia (A.B. 1970);
- Mercer University (J.D., magna cum laude, 1973).
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) Basic Arbitrator Training (1980);
- AAA Mediation Skill-Building Program (1994);
- Resolution Resources Mediation Observation (1995);
- AAA Advanced Arbitrator Training (1997);
- Mediating Land Use Disputes presented by the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, Boston MA (2004);
- Mediation of Complex Commercial Disputes presented by the Association for Conflict Resolution, Austin, TX (2008).
Memberships & Affiliations
- Georgia Bar Association (1973-);
- American Bar Association and its Forum Committee on the Construction Industry;
- Atlanta Bar Association and its Construction Law Section (Past Director);
- Atlanta Bar Association s Alternative Dispute Resolution Section;
- Fellow, American College of Civil Trial Mediators;
- Member, the Georgia Arbitration Forum;
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta;
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern District of Georgia, the Middle District of Georgia, and the Southern District of Georgia, and the U.S, Court of Appeals for the fifth circuit, the Eleventh Circuit, and the Sixth Circuit;
- Chairman, Georgia State Ethics Commission (1990-1994).
Mediation Rates: 2 Party Case - $225.00 per party, per hour 3 Party Case - $160.00 per party, per hour 4 or More Party Case - $125.00 per party, per hour * All charges will be shared equally among all parties, unless otherwise agreed upon in writing. Any travel expense will be billed at the actual cost incurred. * A party and its insured (or a party and its surety) are considered one party for billing purposes unless otherwise agreed. * There is a four (4) hour minimum charge for mediations. * Time incurred in travel is not billed.